Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /f2/natecooks/public/wp-settings.php on line 520

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /f2/natecooks/public/wp-settings.php on line 535

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /f2/natecooks/public/wp-settings.php on line 542

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /f2/natecooks/public/wp-settings.php on line 578

Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /f2/natecooks/public/wp-settings.php on line 18
Nate Cooks » Roasted Kale Chips Are Freaking Amazing

Roasted Kale Chips Are Freaking Amazing

IMG_8192

Oh. My. God.

So Tuscan Kale is kind of sexy right now, in a weird, leafy green vegetable sort of way. You didn’t think that was possible did you? Well it is. Check it: it’s gotten fancy write-ups in the New York Times and Bon Appetite. That’s pretty much the definition of sexy food.

So anyway Tuscan kale goes by about a bajillion other names, including dinosaur kale, black kale, and something Italian that I can’t be bothered to look up on Google right now. It’s dark green, it’s got all sorts of crazy vitamins, and frankly I’ve always lumped it together with spinach, Swiss chard, and collard greens in the category of “food best sautéed.”

HOWEVER! I was intrigued by the idea of roasting kale chips, especially after the favorable experiences I recently had roasting Brussels Sprouts. Some of the leaves fell of the sprouts and got all crispy and chip-like so I knew it was a possibility.

And conveniently, we had some Tuscan kale left over from some soup last week that really needed to be cooked. So I whipped out the recipe from the Times and went to town.

And oh my god, kale chips are amazing. They got all nutty and crispy and glorious. If you’re reading this and you’re at all intrigued I recommend that you stand up, walk in a dignified, yet speedy manner to your preferred form of transportation, and get down to your favorite grocery store and buy some kale.

Immediately.

Here’s what you’ll need to make roasted kale chips.

Tuscan Kale $2.99
Olive Oil $6.99
Salt $0.79
Pepper $0.99

Total: $11.76 for 4-6 servings if you use the whole bunch, or $2.35 a serving.

You’ll note the lack of quantities. That’s because this is so easy. Start by preheating your oven to 400 degrees. Wash as much Tuscan kale as you feel like eating and pat it dry or toss it in a salad spinner.

IMG_8173

Arrange the kale on a cookie sheet and brush each leaf lightly with olive oil. Be sure to use a light hand with the oil – it’s easy to go overboard and then the kale chips will be greasy and not really crisp up.

IMG_8178

Sprinkle with salt and pepper and toss in the oven. Check them every couple minutes and flip them once or twice until they’re paper thin and crispy. If you want to be extra fancy and dramatic, serve them in a rocks glass or some other dish that will allow them to stand upright.

IMG_8188

Your friends and associates will be impressed, I promise.

16 Comments

• By Sara, November 11, 2009 @ 11:15 am

I’ve seen/heard of others eating kale chips, and making kale chips..but haven’t tried it myself. I’m diggin’ your post on the steps, and I may have to give it a try! Thanks for sharing!

• By Jenni, November 11, 2009 @ 11:30 am

Nate, Nate, Nate–I love it! I bet they’d be pretty awesome deep-fried, too.

And since I’m a helper, Google says it’s called covalo riccio or covalo comune in Italian:)

Nate Reply:

OH MY GOD.

I think you just broke my mind with the idea of deep fried kale chips.

• By Miranda, November 11, 2009 @ 12:06 pm

Wow. Very unique. Not to mention, it is a beautiful center piece! It is edible too!!

• By KrisKishere, November 11, 2009 @ 12:11 pm

LOVE this post! I’ve never tried this before, but I think I will now!

• By Jessie, November 11, 2009 @ 1:57 pm

looks really interesting! I never had kale chips but since you’re raving about them, now I’m eager to try them!

• By Rachel J, November 12, 2009 @ 7:41 pm

OMG, srsly am excited and a little turned on by this crispy kale! I can’t wait to make it straight-away! Oh, and PS on of the best posts I’ve read all year. Cheers!

• By Jenny, November 15, 2009 @ 10:29 am

I’m so glad I found this site! You crack me up and, well, I can’t wait to try these. I think i’ll use my misto and get a little crazy with the spices(wild woman, I know!). Thanks for the idea- i’m off to read more from your archives.

• By tina marie, November 16, 2009 @ 3:10 pm

Wow - would never have thought of roasting these. Kale…I gotta try it!

• By pumpkin, December 9, 2009 @ 12:46 pm

What temperature in the oven and for how many minutes? These look delicious!

Nate Reply:

I did it at 400 for about 5-10 minutes.

• By Sarah, August 7, 2010 @ 9:44 pm

This is one of the kids’ absolute favorite snacks. I’m planning an entire bed of dinosaur kale for the spring. (And with kids, of course the name has be to dinosaur kale!) At the rate we go through it, a full raised bed should be…not quite enough.

• By Laura, November 21, 2010 @ 6:47 pm

Are these good served at room temperature or just fresh from the oven?

• By James Kaplan, June 8, 2011 @ 5:52 pm

How do you store kale chips if you want to make them ahead? Mine collapsed in a zip-loc in the fridge.

Other Links to this Post

1. PHD + Sweet Potato Risotto + Kale Chips « Happy Shoes — November 13, 2009 @ 12:41 am

2. Brown Buffalo Button « ShopBritexNotions & Britex Fabrics — December 2, 2009 @ 8:40 pm

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI