Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /f2/natecooks/public/wp-settings.php on line 520

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /f2/natecooks/public/wp-settings.php on line 535

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /f2/natecooks/public/wp-settings.php on line 542

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /f2/natecooks/public/wp-settings.php on line 578

Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /f2/natecooks/public/wp-settings.php on line 18
Nate Cooks » Recreating the Vanderbilt’s Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Sriracha, Lime, and Honey

IMG_8171
I realized recently that I write about meat a lot. Don’t get me wrong, I like meat and all, but I’m seriously not one of those lame “blah blah blah, I don’t eat anything green” people. Not even close.

So that explains part of my excitement the other night when Scott and I went to The Vanderbilt, a new restaurant over in Prospect Heights. I’ve been excited to try the food there since the place opened a few weeks ago. The place was hopping (and it was a Sunday night) but for good reason – we had a really delightful meal, and awesome cocktails. One of the best parts of the meal was their roasted Brussels sprouts with sriracha, lime, and honey.

No seriously, these sprouts were A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. I’m actually quite a big fan of Brussels sprouts, especially when they’re roasted. I’ve had them with balsamic vinegar, roasted with bacon, or just with some garlic, olive oil, and Parmesan.

So I immediately set about to recreate the recipe. Scott had conveniently picked up some nice sprouts from the Greenmarket on Saturday and sriracha, lime and honey are things I all have lying around the apartment.

With a bit of tweaking I found something that approximates the deliciousness of The Vanderbilt’s Brussels sprouts. Check them out!

Here’s what you’ll need for Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Sriracha, Lime, and Honey.

2 cups Brussels sprouts $1.50
1 tablespoon oil (canola or olive) $3.19
1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil $2.99
The juice of 2 limes $0.67
1 tablespoon honey $3.99
1/4-1/2 teaspoon thai fish sauce $2.79
1/2 teaspoon sriracha $3.69
2 teaspoons sesame seeds $4.09

Total: $22.91 for 4 servings or $5.73 a serving.

Start by preheating your oven to 400 degrees. Then wash the Brussels sprouts and remove any brown leaves from the outside. Then chop the sprouts in half or quarter (for the bigger ones). You’ll end up with an attractive looking pile of greens like this:

IMG_8152

Grab a baking pan and pour both oils in the bottom. Put the Brussels sprouts in and toss them around to cover them with the oil. Put them in the oven and let them roast for about ten minutes. In order to get them brown and crispy, make sure that you lay them out so that they’re all one layer like this:

IMG_8159

In the meantime, mix the lime juice, honey, fish sauce, and sriracha together in a small bowl. Note that my measurements are approximate. You want a sauce that is balanced between sweet, salty, sour, and spicy. If you’re afraid of spice, go light with the sriracha at first.

IMG_8161

I found the sauce to still be a bit thin and not how I remembered from the Vanderbilt, so I reduced it on the stove until it was syrupy.

IMG_8163

After ten minutes, pull the Brussels sprouts out and give them a vigorous shake. Add the sesame seeds and pop them back in the oven for another ten minutes or so. After that, they should be starting to get brown and all the leaves that have fallen off the sprouts will start to get crispy. Shake them again, then put them under the broiler for a few more minutes (3-4) so they get nice and browned. They should look sexy like this when they come out:

IMG_8169

Put them in a nice bowl and top with the sauce.

25 Comments

• By Leah, November 10, 2009 @ 2:04 am

awesome.

• By Jessie, November 10, 2009 @ 10:16 am

that sure does look delicious, those brussel sprouts look like they are loaded with lots of flavor

Nate Reply:

Thanks, they ended up being really quite good! Roasting them definitely brought out a lot of flavor.

• By ravenouscouple, November 10, 2009 @ 12:56 pm

roasted brussel sprouts are the best! your use of Asian flair here is really interesting!

Nate Reply:

Thanks!

• By The Duo Dishes, November 10, 2009 @ 2:18 pm

Really interesting flavors! The sriracha is awesome, but the honey is nice too. Never used a sweetener with brussels before.

Nate Reply:

I hadn’t either - I had always done salty or fatty accents. The sweetness brings out the nutty flavor of the sprouts in a really nice way.

• By Mary, November 11, 2009 @ 9:50 pm

I was about to make my own attempt at Vanderbilt’s Brussels (had them Saturday, best thing I ate there)and thought I’d check out Brussels sprouts, lime, honey and sriracha on Google … and found you! They were delicious, I used a tad too much sriracha, however I sauced the Brussels in the roasting pan and put them back in the oven for a few minutes to bring the whole thing together. I have always roasted Brussels sprouts, but this sauce and the use of sesame oil made it a whole new experience.

• By richard landy, December 8, 2009 @ 4:22 pm

Wondering about the costs you’re using. Sri Racha sauce costs around $9 for a 7 oz bottle and 1 teaspoon is not even 1/2 oz so I get it at something like $.25 for 1/2 teaspoon. Ditto on the fish sauce, granted there are lots of different kinds / prices out there but still a 1/2 teaspooon for almost 3 bucks cannot be right. Regardless of cost looking forward to trying this.

Karen Ford Reply:

I think he’s telling us how much it will cost if we have to go out and buy a bottle, assuming we don’t have any on hand. Unfortunately, one can’t go out and buy 1/2 teaspoon of fish sauce just for one recipe! I’m looking forward to trying this recipe on Thanksgiving–sounds great!

• By M. J. Simon, December 9, 2009 @ 9:45 am

Thanks for posting this recipe. I was intrigued when I read the NewYorker’s review of the Vanderbilt in their most recent issue. I wanted to try to achieve a decent outcome, but in my house, one or two guessing failures in ingredients and amounts usually dissuades further experimentation.

• By zested, December 9, 2009 @ 8:43 pm

I just had them at the Vanderbilt last night and was blown away - I found your blog looking for a recipe to recreate them. I’m glad to see that you share the same hunch that there was fish sauce in them, though our waiter denied it. It also has ginger, apparently. I’m going to give it a whirl tonight!

• By Marley, March 15, 2010 @ 12:51 am

OMG these were delicious! I’d seen the sprouts featured in time out a few weeks ago and was hoping there’d be a recipe online–this was perfect! I used lemon inistead of lime because that’s what we had at home and soy sauce instead of fish sauce since my boyfriend’s vegetarian. Until we find time to make it out to the vanderbilt, we’ll definitely be making these. Considering making a big batch of the sauce just to keep around. Thanks so much for posting this! (Kale chips are next on the cooking agenda :-) )

• By jeu poker gratuit, May 13, 2011 @ 3:55 am

Thx for this share. I really impressed and want some more stuffs again for this post. Pleasure

• By ps3 games, June 1, 2011 @ 5:37 pm

Hey, I think your site might be having browser compatibility issues. When I look at your blog site in Chrome, it looks fine but when opening in Internet Explorer, it has some overlapping. I just wanted to give you a quick heads up! Other then that, excellent blog!

• By Laveta Amsley, June 17, 2011 @ 9:02 pm

hello!,I like your writing very much! share we communicate additional about your article on AOL? I need a specialist on this area to solve my problem. May be that’s you! Looking forward to see you.

• By Kristin, November 24, 2011 @ 3:33 pm

I love this recipe :) I modified it when I realized I didnt have a lime, I used orange juice as a base for the sauce. It was just as good :)

• By iampiama, April 1, 2012 @ 9:36 pm

I was hoping someone had recreated these! Amazing! Thank you, these are out of this world. They create a similar effect to hard drugs addiction.

• By pandora bracelets, October 7, 2012 @ 10:26 am

Wonderful work! This is the kind of information that should be shared across the web. Disgrace on Google for now not positioning this publish upper! Come on over and visit my web site . Thank you =)

• By sprouty, November 18, 2012 @ 7:33 pm

LOVED THESE!

Other Links to this Post

1. Nate Cooks » Roasted Kale Chips Are Freaking Amazing — November 11, 2009 @ 8:42 am

2. Nate Cooks » Lazy Evening: Tomato and Blue Cheese Soup — November 19, 2009 @ 9:23 pm

3. Num Num Chronicles » The Art of Eating In: DIY Food adventure with Souther Salazar — March 1, 2010 @ 5:51 pm

4. Cookbook Club: Josie’s Honeyed Sriracha Brussel Sprouts, via Nate Cooks | Betty Crockhead — October 16, 2010 @ 9:37 pm

5. Sunday Smiles » Sneakers 2 Sandals — April 29, 2012 @ 3:48 pm