Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /f2/natecooks/public/wp-settings.php on line 520

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /f2/natecooks/public/wp-settings.php on line 535

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /f2/natecooks/public/wp-settings.php on line 542

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /f2/natecooks/public/wp-settings.php on line 578

Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /f2/natecooks/public/wp-settings.php on line 18
Nate Cooks » Fancy Weekend Brunch: Cherry Clafoutis

Fancy Weekend Brunch: Cherry Clafoutis

IMG_4473.JPG

Classy New York people don’t have breakfast on the weekend, they BRUNCH. And when you’re brunching with classy New Yorkers, some lame breakfast cereal or oatmeal just won’t cut it. You really have to raise the bar.

Now, normally, Scott and I aren’t terribly concerned with being classy, (this is a lie) however this Sunday we invited our friend Jon over to have brunch before we went to the extremely classy Brooklyn Design Expo to look at expensive furniture. Clearly, we needed to make something fancy… something… FRENCH.

I whipped out my trusty Joy of Cooking and found what I needed – a cherry clafoutis. There is nothing like a semi-unpronounceable French dish to allow you put on airs. A clafoutis is totally like that – a custard-y tart with fruit baked in a cast-iron pan.

Fancy, eh?

Secretly however, a clafoutis is very simple – it’s basically just some pancake batter pored over some fruit and baked. It comes together quickly and then takes about 35 minutes to bake – just enough time to break out some mimosas.

Here is what you’ll need for the cherry clafoutis.

1 lb fresh or frozen cherries ($7.99)
1 tablespoon butter ($4.89)
4 eggs ($2.69 a dozen)
3/4 cup sugar ($1.89 for 2 lbs)
1 cup milk ($1.19 a quart)
1 tablespoon spiced rum ($2.00 a nip)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract ($4.59 for 2 oz)
3/4 cup flour ($1.89 for 2 lbs)
pinch of salt ($0.79)

Total: $27.92 for 6-8 servings or 4.65 a serving.

Start by pitting the cherries. This is much easier than it sounds. Start by cutting all the way around the crease of the cherry with a paring knife.

IMG_4397.JPG

Then just twist one side off and pop the pit out of the other.

IMG_4400.JPG

Dump all the cherries into a greased pan. I used a cast-iron pan because I like the rustic look (also because I don’t have a pie pan).

IMG_4429.JPG

Start the batter by blending together the eggs and sugar for about 2 minutes until they’re frothy. Then add the milk, rum and vanilla. Blend that together and then add the flour and salt. I was concerned about overmixing the flour and used a wooden spoon, which lead to little flecks of flour that floated to the top. They looked a little funny but tasted fine. I recommend using the blenders and just mix it until the flour’s incorporated.

IMG_4436.JPG

Pour the batter over the cherries. Pop the whole thing in a 375 degree oven for 10 minutes. Then reduce the heat down to 350 for another 35 minutes. When it comes out, it should be a bit puffy and a knife should come out clean. Let it cool for as long as you can stand – at least about 15 minutes.

IMG_4441.JPG

43 Comments

• By Kim, May 11, 2009 @ 3:29 pm

This looks like a great recipe! I’ve made strawberry clafoutis and really loved it. I like how you’ve made it in cast-iron too, I’ll have to try it that way.

Nate Reply:

Strawberry sounds great - they’ll be in season soon, I’ll have to try that!

• By candy, May 11, 2009 @ 4:02 pm

beautiful website. thanks for the foodbuzz add. the clafoutis looks fun to try, i never had a reason to put my cast iron pan into the oven yet.

• By zoe, May 11, 2009 @ 5:12 pm

Just beautiful! I love to serve it in the pan.

• By s. stockwell, May 11, 2009 @ 5:16 pm

Oh yea, this is such a good idea. a little labor intensive but using some of the rum to whip us some daiquiris while we cook will work fine! best, s

Nate Reply:

Anything, and I mean ANYTHING works better when there’s daiquiris involved.

• By Heather @ chik n' pastry, May 11, 2009 @ 5:45 pm

yummers. that’s something i can totally get behind. nothing says class like the french, non?!

Nate Reply:

Oui, oui! I think I may start translating all my dishes into French.

• By william, May 11, 2009 @ 9:05 pm

We love clafoutis. And stone fruits are coming in early this year. I think the polar bears are hunting for them.

• By Manny De Castro, May 11, 2009 @ 10:57 pm

Is Scott your significant other? This dessert seems to be a good one, can’t wait till cherry season is here again in a month or less. Thanks again.

Nate Reply:

Yep, he is. I’m looking forward to cherry season here too. This was good with grocery cherries but would be better with the ones from the farmer’s market!

• By Jessie, May 11, 2009 @ 11:00 pm

I never had clafoutis, after reading your post I am very tempted to make my own!

• By Capricciosa, May 12, 2009 @ 12:08 am

This sounds fun! I have that book and never stumbled upon this name before…now I can be classy too. ;-) Thank you for the add!

• By Freda, May 12, 2009 @ 12:45 am

Great looking dish. I love cherries and this looks really easy and elegant. Thanks for sharing Nate.

• By bromography, May 12, 2009 @ 1:45 am

Great recipe! Also works well with frozen blueberries. (Pitting the cherries seemed like the hardest part.) :)

Nate Reply:

Ooh, that would be good too.

• By Aimee, May 12, 2009 @ 2:43 am

Oh my god! That looks crazy good! I’ve never had a clafoutis and I’ve been meaning to try one. The next time I see cherries on sale I’m going to have to try this. Why does fruit have to be soooo expensive!

• By Figtree, May 12, 2009 @ 6:45 am

This sounds great, my 1st clafoutis was one Ina Garten makes, I believe this one looks even better.Thanks Figtreeapps

• By kitchenlawyer, May 12, 2009 @ 9:38 am

this looks delicious. i’m afraid though that fresh cherries are a rarity here in the philippines or if it’s in stores they are too expensive. will preserved cherries do or achieve the same taste?

Nate Reply:

I bet that it would be good if you got preserved cherries and then soaked them overnight in brandy or rum. How bad could that be, really?

• By Steven Gdula, May 12, 2009 @ 12:26 pm

Another great post, Nate! BTW, you had much better luck with the Clafoutis than we did in our house! I’m going to have to take another look at your recipe and try it instead! Thanks again for sharing!

Nate Reply:

Thanks! What went wrong with your clafoutis?

• By Julie, May 12, 2009 @ 4:59 pm

I LOVE clafoutis! Even better when you bake it with the cherries you stole from your neighbour’s tree. I would have never thought of it for brunch though…but that’s a great idea…classy French meets posh New Yorker I guess

Nate Reply:

I think everything tastes better with food you’ve… *cough* borrowed. I was a bit worried it would be too sweet for brunch, but it ended up being perfect with some mimosas.

• By Lisaloo, May 12, 2009 @ 5:24 pm

Oh, Nate, if you ever come to the east coast of Canada, you have to come to my house for dinner. You are too funny. And we might have to set you straight on the french cuisine thing. Whenever my husband cooks, it always involves copious amounts of ketchup, canned soup and a dollop of maple syrup. But maybe thats because he is French Canadian - I guess something got lost on the voyage…. The first cookbook I was given was Joy of Cooking - it is stll a mainstay for me. Love your blogs…

• By BitterBaker, May 12, 2009 @ 9:08 pm

Thanks for giving me a reason to finally buy a cast-iron pan!

• By bergamot, May 13, 2009 @ 8:04 am

Clafoutis with lots of cherries. I love cherries and this is so tempting But will have to wait for some more time to try it since cherris are not in season here

• By Natasha, May 13, 2009 @ 11:33 am

that looks delicious!I’ve never made a clafoutis but it’s on my list:)
    plz check out my site, its still a baby…

• By flfarmgirl, May 14, 2009 @ 6:30 am

I haven’t had Clafoutis in such a long time. Very nice post and thanks for the reminder to make this. When we lived in Germany, Cherry Clafoutis was quite popular and you could have a slice with your coffee in bakeries everywhere, even the smallest villages. They never pitted the cherries, you just knew the pits were there. Plums make a great Clafoutis as well. Now you’ve made me hungry and nostalgic. Good job!

• By The Duo Dishes, May 14, 2009 @ 2:24 pm

The first photo is great! Looks like a masterpiece any true French person would approve of.

• By Saugato, May 14, 2009 @ 2:31 pm

Sorry that I couldn’t meet in NY - was way too hectic with family stuff. But what fun to see you made clafoutis - I love it. Mark Bittman had a blood orange one I tried last year, and it worked really well!

• By kissmyspatula, May 14, 2009 @ 4:22 pm

oh yummmie! when cherry season hits, i’m definitely going to try this!

• By Deb, May 16, 2009 @ 7:48 am

We’re trying it sans cherie because my SO doesn’t care for fruit. I’ll let you know how it works out (it’s in the oven right now).

• By Deb, May 16, 2009 @ 7:50 am

By the way - how is this dish pronounced? Whenever I see it written all I can think of is Kaplooeee from an old Batman episode.

• By AndreaQ, May 17, 2009 @ 10:16 pm

This looks so good! And way easier than clafoutis sounds!

• By Ann, May 19, 2009 @ 11:32 pm

délicieux!! I am looking for easy french recipes to try.. this is surely in my list :) cooking in cast iron must have added different taste to it?!

• By Suzanne, May 20, 2009 @ 8:52 pm

I am always on the lookout for new recipes for my cast iron pan! YAY!! This looks amazing!

• By Kara, May 21, 2009 @ 8:28 pm

I have never seen anything like this before. It sure sounds fabulous! Looks beautiful with the powdered sugar on top.

Nancy Reply:

Nate your clafoutis looks fabulous!

I made one yesterday using a recipe from David Tanis’ Platter of Figs cookbook. His recipe calls for brown sugar and has very little flour (just 1 tablespoon). Turned out nicely, with a flan/creme caramel-like flavor and texture.

I’m going to try your recipe next time.

• By Carolyn, May 26, 2009 @ 7:04 pm

Looks yummy! I’m so happy that cherries are back this year. I just bought (another) cast iron pan that looks the right size for this. Can’t wait to try it.

• By Jacoba, June 9, 2009 @ 12:00 pm

Excellent website, excellent post and super recipe. I have just made it and it’s a feast for palate and eyes.

• By Fignatius, June 12, 2009 @ 11:21 am

YES! Clafoutis is so deceptively easy and delicious. Ina’s pear version looks amazing, but the traditional cherry is such a crowd pleaser. Speaking of cast iron, is Tart Tatin up in the fall?

• By Ming the Merciless, July 26, 2010 @ 12:23 am

My cherry clafoutis is baking in the oven RIGHT NOW. It has another 10 minutes in the oven.

I used Ina Garten’s recipe instead because she uses MORE sugar, cream (instead of milk), liqueur, etc.

Other Links to this Post